Wednesday 11 December 2013

Three Paintings From MoMA And A Bonus MoMA Artwork

Three Artworks From MoMA And A Bonus MoMA Artwork

I was looking around for interesting artworks on the website of MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) to reference in a painting for an assignment that I'll be doing soon. I found three (and one extra!) interesting artworks to write about.


Title: Uphe 
Date: 2011
Maker: Tomma Abts (German, born 1967)
Medium: Synthetic polymer paint and oil on canvas
Dimensions: 19 x 15" (48.1 x 38.1 cm)

Why I like this style of painting
I like this style of painting because of the overlaying and conversing of triangle like shapes which cross over top of one another is an interesting way, especially with the use of one hue that had various tones and values to it. It made for an interesting artwork that utilized it's colour and composition well. 




                                                      Title: Chronochromeset 10
Date: 2011
Maker: Cheyney Thompson (American, born 1975)
Medium: Oil on canvas, in two parts 
Dimensions: 47 x 75" (119.4 x 190.5 cm) and 25 x 75" 
(63.5 x 190.5 cm)

Why I like this style of painting
I like this style of painting because of the interesting use of medium to create a somewhat textured appearance and depth to the piece. It gives visual interest, and I feel that it completes the piece itself as well.




Title: Untitled Painting No. 6
Date: 2008
Maker: Blake Rayne (American, born 1969)
Medium: Synthetic polymer paint and gesso on linen, and lacquer on wood
Dimensions: Overall dimensions variable

Why I like this style of painting
 I like this style of painting because of the use of shapes and colours that relate to each other. Although there isn't many warm colours in this piece, the aura and mood of the artwork itself still feels quite warm. The quirkily (if quirkily is a word) cut out shapes fit well with the colours used in the composition, and the composition itself, which I really resonated with.




Title: Work No. 227, The Lights Going On And Off
Date: 2000
Maker: Martin Creed (British, born 1968)
Medium: Electrical timer (frequency five seconds on/five seconds off)
Dimensions: Dimensions variable

Why I like this style of painting
Okay, so this isn't really a painting nor is it a painting style. I really couldn't help myself from posting about this once, it really drew my attention and seemed to call out at me and said "Pick me pick me!" So, I had to pick it. Although it doesn't have a painting style I really do enjoy the way that the artist used space "Dof" (Depth of field) to make certain objects appear farther than others and be more visually interesting and appealing.


No comments:

Post a Comment